Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Official Proposal

So I have been negligent in posting one important detail of our wedding, how Mr. Roe proposed to me. I have to admit that its not the most romantic or exciting story that some brides have. Roe and I came to a mutual decision to get married, maybe its our age and fully knowing what we want in a spouse and having been through a lot of "frogs" . We both realized that this was something special early on and that we would be great together. However, I will admit that he did know a little before me. Early into our dating Roe would throw out casual statements like "You are going to be my wife", "I see us spending our life together", etc. And when he said this I was overtaken with a sense of calm and it just felt right. So we decided back in April to get married but my official engagement was not till July. How do you explain that after little under 4 months of dating you are getting married. Crazy right?

So Roe planned something special for me for my birthday - a trip to DC for fun and relaxation. He booked everything and would not tell me where we were going. Now I knew that 2 weeks previously he had picked up the ring, so it was locked away in the house. (Torture for most, but given my laid back personality it really didn't bother me. I figured I'd get in due time.) He booked us at the Hyatt in Crystal City VA, which was really nice. That day we arrived (which was my birthday) we went exploring in Old Alexandria window shopping at little shops. We often look at furniture and home goods laying plans and cataloging stuff we love for our next home. After walking through Old Alexandria for about 2 hours we came back to the hotel to change for dinner. Roe wouldn't tell me where we were going, so I was pleasantly surprised when we landed in Georgetown on the waterfront. Our first choice for dinner was Sequoia, however, they were fully booked on a Wednesday night and only had outdoor seating. Given that it was like 90% humidity that day, no way did we want to sit outside. Luckily near by was a lovely spot by the name of Arcadia. Arcadia had a very Northwestern feel and all their produce and meats come from cooperative farmers. Well I really made a pig of myself. As I am in the midst of fighting sleep, which I am notorious for doing after a big meal, I see Roe reach into his pocket. I just welled up and started to cry - and I mean cry hard like a baby. (Is this what I have to look forward to on my wedding day - uncontrollable tears and my ugly cry face?) He took my hand and started to say the most lovely things, half of which I don't remember. All I know is that at the moment I have never loved a man more than I loved Roe. Unfortunately I was crying so hard that the waiter must have thought something was wrong so he cam over midway through the proposal. Bless his heart! But after assuring him that I was ok Roe continued on and placed the ring on my finger. See how HAPPY we look!!!!!

Here other pics from our trip.


No comments: