Friday, September 19, 2008

Wedding Purse : Is it Really a Must Have ????

Right before I departed for Hawaii, I had been working with the etsy seller blueorchidhandbags to design a wedding bag for myself. It came the day before I left and I must say I was thrilled!

Here is a photo courtesy of blueorchidhandbags.


I really loved working with her, she was so easy and accommodating. First I sent her pictures of my dress and described the colors of my wedding and the color of my dress sash. She then sent fabric samples of things she thought would go well with my outfit. And she was willing to work with me until I found the perfect match. From there I think the turn around for my bag was about a week.

THANKS BLUEOERCHID!

I was originally drawn to her because of her simple yet elegant clutch design and she has a lovely range of fabrics to choose from. Wanted to also choose something that I could use after the wedding as a fancy going out bag and to carry on our anniversaries.

However, it did get me to thinking about why do we as brides obsess about our pocketbooks so much? For the weddings I have been to I can not recall seeing not one bride carry their purse on that day. For my friends wedding last year, for which I was a bridesmaid, I did not know she had a bag till the professional shots came back and I saw it in only 1 shot of her accessories laid out on the bed. Now my cousin who was married 40 years ago said she wore her little pouch wristlet bag the whole wedding as a means to collect cash gifts. (WOW, how often does that happen these days!)

My question is do we really need to carry a bag that day? While I am uber excited about mine, I wonder as to its practicality. When I need something such as blotting paper or a retouch of my lipstick will I just ask a bridesmaid for something? Are we just so entrenched in the habit of getting purses to match our outfits that we feel compelled to get one on this day as well? And I find it super ironic that I put so much energy into getting a purse when as a little girl and into most of my teens it was like pulling teeth for me to carry a purse (YUCK!). My of my, how things change!

No comments: